E-Stewards Pledge Signor: July 2002
FINANCIAL ASSURANCE AND CLOSURE PLAN
ERC has filed Financial Assurances, Evidence of Financial Responsibility and a detailed Closure Plan with the California Department of Toxics and Substance Control.
Request a complete Environmental Health & Safety Profile from your ERC Sales Professional
ISO 14001 is an internationally accepted standard that sets out how to go about putting in place an effective Environmental Management System (EMS). The standard is designed to address the delicate balance between maintaining profitability and reducing environmental impact; with the commitment of your entire organization, it can enable you to achieve both objectives.
What’s in ISO 14001:
- General requirements
- Environmental policy
- Planning implementation and operation
- Checking and corrective action
- Management review
This means you can identify aspects of your business that impact the environment and understand those environmental laws that are relevant to your situation. The next step is to produce objectives for improvement and a management program to achieve them, with regular reviews for continual improvement.
Environmental impact is becoming an increasingly important issue across the globe, with pressure to minimize that impact coming from a number of sources: local and national governments, regulators, trade associations, customers, employees, and shareholders. Social pressures are also building up from the growing array of interested parties, such as consumer, environmental and minority non-governmental organizations (NGOs), academia and neighbors.
e-Stewards Certification is rapidly emerging as the lead ing global program designed to achieve the highest
standard of environmental responsibility and worker protection. e-Stewards Certification is open to electronics recyclers, refurbishers, and processors in all developed countries. Certified e-Stewards recyclers commit to the e-Stewards Standard for Responsible Recycling and Reuse of Electronic Equipment®; written by the environmental community with leaders in the industry to protect human health and the global environment. While there are other guidelines written for the recycling industry, the e-Stewards Standard is the only e-waste standard that:
- Is “All-In-One” – encompasses a certified ISO 14001 environmental management system and R2 (Responsible Recycling Practices).
- Prohibits all hazardous waste from being disposed of in solid waste landfills and incinerators.
- Requires full compliance with existing international hazardous waste treaties for exports and imports of electronics, and specifically prohibits the export of hazardous waste from developed to developing countries.
- Prohibits the use of prison labor in the recycling of hazardous electronics, which often have sensitive data embedded.
- Requires extensive baseline protections for and monitoring of recycling workers in every country, including developed nations where hazardous exposures are routinely taking place.
- Is written for international use.